Sunday 4 May 2014

Practise Shot

I chose to animate this shot first as it is a key shot in the short film. It also looked like a challenge, as it was difficult getting the proportions right for the upper lid of the case. I did it by using a pencil, paper, Photoshop and Premiere Pro.

I firstly drew out the background onto paper, (the wall, ground, and bottom half of the brief case with the money. Then, on 14 separate pieces of paper, drew the top lid and hands in different positions, so that when it is put together, it gives the illusion it is opening up.

I then scanned each image into the computer, and on Photoshop, took the 14 different sketches of the lid, and added the background to them. Before colouring it, I tested the animation on Photoshop, to see if it looked convincing before I coloured each frame. From that I realized I needed to neaten up some lines, and re-adjust the proportions, and also smoothed it up, as it had a very sketchy effect on the top lid, and I didn't want this.

Here is the sketched shot (not done): 


Lastly, when everything looked okay, I coloured each frame exactly the same, and brought it into Premiere Pro, as I found tweaking the duration of each frame was easier on this software. (I could also colour correct it on here, but decided not too). 

Here is the finished shot: 

As there are certain things that are difficult/you can't do digitally on After Effects, (such as this shot, as each frame changes quite evidently) it works out best to stick to drawing each frame, as manipulating shots like this on After Effects would be quite complicated with only one drawing of the full brief case. 

I plan to draw each shot out frame by frame, although for certain simplistic shots with not much movement, use After Effects to save time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment